[ydl-gen] Remote Power Control for G5 w/ YDL ...

Joe Duchtel duchtel at gmail.com
Mon May 4 06:17:33 MDT 2009

Hello -

We have several G5s running YDL in a server room. I would like to be able to
turn them on and off remotely as the server room usually cannot be entered.
Turning them off remotely is fairly easy but turning them back on is the
tricky part as they do not seem to support BOOT-ON-LAN. I found power strips
that can be controlled via Ethernet but I cannot figure out how to configure
the G5s so they power up when (re-)connected to power.

I read that there is a way to change the settings using the Mac O/S but not
via nvram (auto-boot). The biggest problem is that these are re-furbished
G5s with YDL installed on them and there was no Mac O/S media that came with
them.

Has anybody been able to set up their G5 Xserve to power on upon power
connection using nvram?

Thanks!
Joe