[ydl-gen] Remote Power Control for G5 w/ YDL ...

Hal Martin hal.martin at gmail.com
Wed May 6 15:22:00 MDT 2009

Joe Duchtel wrote:
> That's what I was afraid of!   I have been using "magic packages" to
> do this for (even older) PCs for a while and have yet to find one that
> does not support it.
>
> Maybe there is another "magic" trick?
A little searching around the Apple website yields this document:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA20741?viewlocale=en_US

*"Wake for network administrative access"*

Also known as "Wake-on-LAN," this allows network administrators and
certain applications to wake the computer from sleep by sending it a
special type of network packet.

Available on these computers:

    * All Macintosh computers produced in 2003
    * Power Mac G5
    * Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) or later
    * Power Mac G4 Cube (all models)
    * PowerBook (FireWire) or later
    * iBook (all models)
    * iMac (Early 2001) or later

It appears that if your G5 should have support for WoL. Surprisingly
even my PowerMac G4 'Mystic' supposedly supports it.

As for powering up the machine using the WoL "magic" packet in linux, it
appears that a utility called ethtool can throw a flag to your NIC to
enable WoL. More info on that here:

http://ubuntu-utah.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202174

However when I use wakeonlan on my PowerMac G4, with the option to wake
from LAN set in System Preferences, it does not power on or wake from
sleep. This may or may not be due to the fact that the original power
supply died and has been replaced by an ATX one.

At this point in time I cannot find any nvram command to set this to
work indefinitely. I'm also hearing mixed reports of success/failure on
Macs. It seems that waking from sleep using WoL works 100% of the time,
but your mileage will vary when it comes to actually powering on the
machine from the off-state.

Best of luck.

-Hal