[ydl-gen] does yellow dog linux has the packages I need?

Zhang Weiwu zhangweiwu at realss.com
Wed May 13 18:01:41 MDT 2009

Derick Centeno wrote:

> I've followed your initial query to this list as well as the responses
> you received up to the point of Rob Sanders presented his advice.
> There appears to be a key point of understanding regarding Linux,
> which includes all Linux distributions - not only Yellow Dog Linux,
> which you are missing.

Thank you very much for the very detailed answer.
> What all Linux distributions provide however, in addition to their
> variety of software packages, as it is also impossible for any one
> distribution to address or satisfy every individual on the planet, is
> the command line interface (CLI) which allows an individual to modify,
> program or redesign any of the software provided within a distribution
> or add to the body of software not provided or included by that company
> or group of volunteers.

I am a web designer who have an iBook and a Thinkpad, where I used Mac
OS on iBook and Ubuntu on Thinkpad, for years. The years of experience
using both Mac OS and Ubuntu gives me the impression the purpose of
Linux distribution and Mac OS distribution is to serve people who want
to work or entertain. I used RedHat several years ago, when I just
wanted to play a game, it asks me to download RPM package, one after
another, and show me why they are not compatible with each other, to the
end almost let me forgot I wanted to play a game, and it describes all
these trouble to me as advantage of CLI. I almost believed it if I had
not used Ubuntu, who never asked me stupid questions on installing a
software, unless if it simply say the software is not in the repository.
I know about compiling from source, and enjoyed it quiet well when I was
studying computer science several years ago. I used to be a developer
myself, and contributed patches to FreeBSD project, for example
(although only to FreeBSD's ftp server part, not as serious as kernel).
Now, when I choose to use a distribution, I wondwer if it supports my
work, and supports my hardware. Does Mac OS supports my work? Yes. Does
Ubuntu do so? Yes. Does Ubuntu officially support powerpc? No, YDL does.
Then naturally next question is "does YDL support my work"? I don't mind
installing some packages form CLI, but years of experience told me, if
the packages are on online repository, installing it from CLI is a
single step, otherwise you are on your own, a.k.a. "not supported". Back
to my question "does YDL /supports/ my work"?
> Clearly the CLI can be ignored or used, as the individual chooses.
> However, it is a fact that mastering the CLI as a utility provides an
> advantage to anyone who chooses to expand their skills.
I don't belives in CLI advantage metaphor from commandline elites as
much as I don't believe in Windows security & benifit metaphor from
Microsoft, especially after switched job from between management role,
php developer, sysop, graphical designer, copy editer and web designer
and see how CLI support each role working. But this is really Off-Topic,
it is not because I don't want to use CLI that I don't compille my own
package. It is I miss the "supported" feeling as a user. Maybe it sounds
stupid, but there are many people like me: OS is a TOOL for me, not a
spirital believe (like RMS) or a toy to play for fun (as Linus consider
in "just for fun") for me. If YDL developer shares the same view as RMS
or Linus, I am sure their product YDL would not be the best for me.
(Then again, for lack of ppc supporting distros, there probably no
second choice but to keep Mac OS)