[ydl-gen] YDL 6.2, pared down gnome, and an iBook G4 1.33ghz

Stephen Harker sjh at adfa.edu.au
Sat Sep 19 19:34:43 MDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 04:19:13PM -0400, Jason Ritzke wrote:
> Okay, so I moved from xfce back to gnome and switched out some unessential
> services (unessential for the ibook  I mean). However, I still can't get DRI
> or advanced synaptics features, and suspend is still glitchy. Also I'm
> getting a brief kernel error about an invalid rom option for the radeon
> setting in yaboot.conf.

The message you talk about is related to the dri problem as best I
understand.  I also get the message:

radeonfb 0000:00:10.0: Invalid ROM contents

I have not tried much with xorg.conf to see if I can fix the problem.
At the moment the Xorg.0.log has (amongst other things):

drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 8, (OK)
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 8, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:00:10.0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 8, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 8
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:00:10.0

later:

(II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering enabled
(II) RADEON(0): Render acceleration enabled for R300/R400/R500 type cards.
(II) RADEON(0): Setting EXA maxPitchBytes
(II) RADEON(0): num pipes is 1
(II) EXA(0): Offscreen pixmap area of 10584064 bytes
(II) EXA(0): Driver registered support for the following operations:
(II)         Solid

later:

(II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 9, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:00:10.0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 9, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 9
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:00:10.0
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib/dri/r300_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/r300_d
ri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

I have compiled my own kernels, usually a solution, but the problem
persists.  I even tried kernels which had given me working
acceleration under YDL 6.1.  For me, glxinfo starts with:

name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbo
se)

A google search on the radeofb message gives a number of hits:

One of these (for Ubuntu) is
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/354677

one option reported (I have not tried it) is:

Comparing the logs seemed to point at the difference lying in 5.04
falling back on pci for the dri, so I added:
 Option "BusType" "PCI"
to my xorg.conf.

With this option added, 3D-acceleration (including compiz which I'm
using at the moment) seems to work just fine, and glxgears (the
beloved benchmarking tool ;) ) reports fps about 10 times higher than
before.

Stephen Harker                           s.harker at adfa.edu.au
PEMS
UNSW at ADFA