[ydl-gen] Powerbook G4 '12, 1.33 GHz runs hot and shuts down

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Sun Apr 25 07:07:15 JST 2010

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:58:25 -0700
Julian West <jwest184 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm afraid I didn't accurately describe my issue.
>
> My install of Yellow Dog 6.2 went fine.
>
> I left my mac on after using it for over an hour or so.  I like to leave my
> computer on because I know how turning it on and off is hard on a computer.
>  Anyways, when I wasn't using it, the fan seemed go full blast.  I glanced
> at the system monitor and the cpu seem to go to 100% without me doing
> anything on the computer (besides running system monitor of course.)  It
> then shutdown a few seconds after that.
>
> Any help with this would be appreciated.
>
> > Julian

Hi Julian:

I did a little research on this problem and am sharing with you the link:
http://www.ehmac.ca/mac-ipod-help-troubleshooting/9004-powerbook-g4-fan-noise.html

If you read through the discussion you'll notice a section discussing the
wiring and the fan proper.  It just may be the case that you'll have to have
your powerbook checked out by Apple certified engineers to insure that more
serious problems don't exist.  I also found this link:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=504823

However, essentially the solution is the same, take the powerbook to be
examined.

All the best...