[ydl-gen] Printer for YDL 6.2 on a PS3

Stephen Harker sjh at adfa.edu.au
Mon Apr 26 11:22:59 JST 2010

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 07:21:56PM -0400, Derick Centeno wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 19:25:44 +0200
> angelo <angelo_da_re at alice.it> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone, is there anyone who can suggest me an inkjet color
> > printer that is available now for which there is the YDL 6.2 driver ?
> > Maybe HP or Epson USB printer.  I  bought an Epson Stylus S20 , but it's
> > not compatible. I also had a look at CUPS, but the latest Epson driver
> > is of August 2008.  Please help me !  Thanks in advance, Angelo
>
> Hi Angelo:
>
> I recall that back in March (between March 10 - 12, 2010) a number of people
> commented on this problem you reported.  I'm not sure that you read what was
> posted back then but the general idea is that YDL as open source Linux relies
> upon CUPS which collects drivers from HP, Epson and other companies which also
> contribute open source version of the commercial drivers they make.

I looked up the Epson Stylus S20 in the OpenPrinting database, see
<http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting>.
I did not find it, then I did a google search on 'linux Eson Stylus
S20' and found a reference (on OpenPrinting!) as follows:

The properties of this printer are not yet entered into the database
This printer is only listed here because it is in the list of
supported printers of the entries for the drivers shown below.

Then it refers to the GutenPrint drivers.

The GutenPrint drivers are a successor to the Gimp-Print drivers
<http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/> see it now says GutenPrint!
Unfortunately YDL 6.2 does not come with GutenPrint.  You may be able
to get GutenPrint rpms from Fedora to work for you.  I recompiled the
gutenprint source rpm from fedora fc 10 when faced with a similar
problem.  It worked for me.  The source rpm was
gutenprint-5.2.4-4.fc10.src.rpm.  Otherwise you may try to download
the fc10 ppc.rpm and install those.  A final option would be to
download, compile and install the source from the GutenPrint source
on sourceforge as listed above.  On my machine I have the following:

rpm -qa | grep gutenprint
gutenprint-5.2.4-4
gutenprint-extras-5.2.4-4
gutenprint-cups-5.2.4-4