[ydl-gen] Software RAID - making the spare bootable

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Wed Dec 15 07:05:50 JST 2010

Question:
Correct me if I missed something, but wasn't the third "spare" intended
to be an exact mirror so that it could replace either the first or
second drive?

For the "spare" to be a replacement for either the first or the second
drive it also would have matched the exact partition structure of the
first two.  In this particular sense the "spare" is really no "spare" at
all, but a sort of emergency last ditch fail-safe in the event that
either the first or second drive failed.  This also means that the for
the RAID 1 system to function with a fail-safe option/strategy the third
drive had to be prepared properly so that it could potentially replace
any one of the other two at any time.

Zeroing the RAID superblocks and attempting to make the Apple partition
bootable via ybin may have been mistakes; however the strategy to dd the
second (or first) drive onto the "spare" appears reasonable.

Is it possible to reformat/restructure all three disks, using YDL, so
that function is restored?