[ydl-gen] YDL6.2 and dual-head video on a G5/Radeon 9600

Rob Sanders rarob at travelinglightfarm.net
Thu Feb 11 07:42:36 JST 2010

Howdy folks,
   Finally got YDL 6.2 burnt and installed on my dual G5 and have hit
a snag.  I can't get dual-head working right.  I've got a Radeon 9600
card (one dvi, one vga output) installed and I get one of the two
behaviors when I try to enable dual head:

1)  same display on both heads (mirrored)
2) primary display on the right, secondary display on the left, mouse
can move from primary to secondary but not back

Spent about 2 hours fighting with it earlier.  *Very* frustrating as
the xorg.conf configuration that *works* with YDL6.0 gives me option
2 above.  I've gotten dual head to work with evertything from 4.0.91
up through 6.0, although 6.0 took some time as well.  Found my old
post about getting dual head up on 6.0 (as well as some performance
problems) with the 6.0 release and those steps don't work either.

Anyone else had success with a Radeon 9600, YDL6.2, and dual-head?  I
don't *want* xinerama (single desktop over both screens), but if
that's all I can get I'll deal with having popups get cut in half....

-Rob