[ydl-gen] Installation Question -- addendum

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Fri Jan 8 21:00:52 JST 2010

> Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 01:14:26 -0500
> From: Derick Centeno <dcenteno at ydl.net>
>
> Just to be explicit, any one Linux computer owned by an individual has
> one and only one root account.  If however there is a family or group
> sharing the computer then there can be multiple user accounts each with
> a user password, but still there is only one root.

Actually, any account with uid 0 will have root privileges regardless
of username, and you can have as many of them as you want (although
many consider it a bad idea to have multiple root accounts).

In some unix systems (e.g., BSD, I think), there is a standard second
root account with username "toor" (root spelled backwards).  This can
be handy if you want to use a root account with a non-standard default
shell that doesn't reside in the root filesystem but leave another
with a standard shell for use in single user mode or emergencies.

Long ago (in simpler times) I once had an account on a shared system
(a research machine at a university) on which *all* users were given
uid 0!

Ray