[ydl-gen] usb drives

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Fri Jan 15 10:13:26 JST 2010

Hi Robert:

First you have to make sure that YDL sees it.  I'm using YDL 6.2,
but older versions of YDL should behave similarly.  I'll do an example
on my system using my portable usb drive as an example:

[aguila at arakus ~]$ su -
Password:
[root at arakus ~]# parted /dev/sda
GNU Parted 1.8.1
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted)
print

Model: SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 2046MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      32.3kB  2046MB  2046MB  primary  fat32        boot

(parted)
quit Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if
necessary.

[root at arakus ~]#

Of course, you can format the drive with parted.  However after you do
that you next have to create the filesystem you can do:

man mkfs or man mkfs.ext3

to create the linux filesystem after having quit from parted.  If you
want to stay within parted you can do:

[root at arakus ~]# parted
GNU Parted 1.8.1
Using /dev/hda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted)
help
  check NUMBER                             do a simple check on the
file system
  cp [FROM-DEVICE] FROM-NUMBER TO-NUMBER   copy file system to another
partition
  help [COMMAND]                           prints general help, or help
on
        COMMAND
  mklabel,mktable LABEL-TYPE               create a new disklabel
(partition
        table)
  mkfs NUMBER FS-TYPE                      make a FS-TYPE file system on
        partititon NUMBER
  mkpart PART-TYPE [FS-TYPE] START END     make a partition
  mkpartfs PART-TYPE FS-TYPE START END     make a partition with a file
system
  move NUMBER START END                    move partition NUMBER
  name NUMBER NAME                         name partition NUMBER as NAME
  print [free|NUMBER|all]                  display the partition table,
        partition, or all devices
  quit                                     exit program
  rescue START END                         rescue a lost partition near
START
        and END
  resize NUMBER START END                  resize partition NUMBER and
its file
        system
  rm NUMBER                                delete partition NUMBER
  select DEVICE                            choose the device to edit
  set NUMBER FLAG STATE                    change the FLAG on partition
NUMBER
  toggle [NUMBER [FLAG]]                   toggle the state of FLAG on
partition
        NUMBER
  unit UNIT                                set the default unit to UNIT
  version                                  displays the current version
of GNU
        Parted and copyright information
(parted)
quit
Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if
necessary.

[root at arakus ~]#

The command within parted which works to both partition and create a
linux filesystem is mkpartfs.  Unfortunately, as you see above that is
as much information gathered from parted regarding how to use mkpartfs
one will find.  Obviously, using the man and info pages regarding
mkfs.ext3 is more extensive.

You could format any drive within OS X or Windows, but neither can
create filesystems which Linux will understand.  You could install
applications which help OS X and Windows do that however, but it is
easier to be within Linux and format a drive for either OS X or Windows.

A good example is the sandisk drive, which I showed you above.  It is
accessible from within Linux (including YDL), OS X and Windows.  Note
that Linux (I'm using Linux and YDL to mean the same thing) sees the
sandisk as having an msdos partition table which is formatted as a
fat32 filesystem.

Hope the above helps.

All the best...