[ydl-gen] YDL + USB drives

Kai Staats kai at overthesun.com
Thu Jan 21 22:38:00 JST 2010

Robert,

(bringing this back to the list as a resolve to your posted issue)

> I booted YDL 6.2 on the PS-3 on my normal user account, plugged in
> the new FAT32 USB drive, and it popped up on the Desktop. The other
> times I was in the root account. There are more icons on root than
> on my normal desktop, and I believe that what happened before with
> the USB drive is that its icon was displayed off-screen where it
> could not be seen.

Ah! Makes sense. But if you double-click on the Computer icon, it will
show you a list of all mounted devices. And if a Window falls off,
you need only go to:

	YDL Menu --> Windows --> Lost Windows

... and it will auto-center all Windows that are off-screen.

> I also do not understand why YDL doesn't start up the WIFI on boot,
> but the game OS does. I have some documentation for fixing that
> problem which I need to read first, though. This is not a high
> priority, as I have the PS-3 wired directly into the ATT/Uverse
> Wirespeed modem.

Hhmm ... it does for me with my PB, but might be a PS3 issue as the I
recall the PS3s being rather trouble-some in this regard.

> I set up additional YUM repositories yesterday, but I didn't have
> time to re-install Java. At present, I had downloaded the latest
> Java rpm files from IBM, and installed them. However, posters on
> YDL.net seem to indicate that there should be files in /opt. In my
> installation, / opt is empty. I suppose I need to find the files
> that were installed & delete or move them to /opt, but that will
> take more time I don't have right now.
>
> When I had YDL on my G5, I could not mount any of the YDL
> partitions under Mac OS 10.5.8, ... I didn't try to mount my HFS+
> data partition under YDL.

With older versions of OSX there was a wonderful plug-in that allowed
for the mounting of ext3 partitions, but it seems to no longer be
available, thus my original post about mounting a shared OSX
partition instead.

kai