[ydl-gen] Java on PS3

Pat Wall pjwall at mac.com
Tue Jan 26 09:17:16 JST 2010

Derick Centeno wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:16:34 +0000
> Pat Wall<pjwall at mac.com>  wrote:
>

>>> Hi Pat,
>>>
>>> I appreciate your clarification. ...
>>>
>> Hi Derick
>>
>> That's very interesting. I just couldn't get the plugin to register by
>> cp'ing, other than that, no adverse effects. Must be something
>> peculiar to my setup.
>>
>> Anyway I think I better stop tinkering now before I break
>> something ;-)
>>
>> All the best
>>

>> Pat
>>
> Hi Pat!
>
> As for me, I'll never stop tinkering.
>
> Your experience got me thinking and I decided to backtrack what I did
> do as it appears my experience is completely different from what you
> and others reported.  Well I did discover what I did, however I didn't
> use the copy (cp) command -- I used move (mv) instead.
>
> Here's the actual execution:
>
> [aguila at arakus ~]$ sudo mv ./lib*so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
>
> Explanation:  I was within the directory where the java plugin existed
> which is: /opt/ibm/java-ppc-60/jre/plugin/ppc/ns7.  So the above was
> executed from within the ns7 directory.  I found something interesting
> which does apply which you can read yourself within YDL 6.2 by doing:
>
> $ info mv
>
> Here's the part which interests me which may be the root of explaining
> why my approach (using mv, not cp) works.
>
> Note:
> `mv' can move any type of file from one file system to another.
> Prior to version `4.0' of the fileutils, `mv' could move only regular
> files between file systems.  For example, now `mv' can move an entire
> directory hierarchy including special device files from one partition
> to another.  It first uses some of the same code that's used by `cp -a'
> to copy the requested directories and files, then (assuming the copy
> succeeded) it removes the originals. ...
>
> What is interesting is that the *.so remains in the ns7 directory and
> mv executed the function implementing "some of the same code used by
> "cp -a".  This strategy may have created an unintended side effect; I
> noticed that mv did not erase the original location of *.so but
> created in fact a link to *.so where it actually resides in the ns7
> directory! The reason for this may be the result of how I used mv as
> opposed to the way it was designed to be used.  I'll send a query to
> the programmers who created mv and present to them the details I'm
> omitting here.
>
> Interesting how we began talking about tinkering and here we are.
>
> All the best...

Hi Derick

Tinkering, occasionally breaking and (hopefully) fixing is definitely
the best way of learning. My wife is always giving out that the computer
never works when she wants to use it as I normally haven't gotten around
to the fixing part yet ;-)

What you described with the mv command is certainly intriguing.

Best wishes

Pat