[ydl-gen] PS3 is Hacked!

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Tue Jan 26 10:25:46 JST 2010

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:09:41 -0700
Kai Staats <kai at overthesun.com> wrote:

> As a former employee of Fixstars and huge fan of YDL on the PS3, I
> offer this link with all due respect to both Sony and GeoHot:
>
> http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/01/three-years-later-the-ps3-gets-hacked.ars

IBM clarified (last November) that they have ceased all further development on
the Cell and have moved along the direction of heterogenous multicore systems
of which the Cell is the first implementation of instead.  The article
discussing this is here:

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2009/11/end-of-the-line-for-ibms-cell.ars

It may be that the next implementation may look something like the Toshiba
SpursEngine.  As far as YDL and related software is concerned it was
clarified in a discussion in this list last year that YDL nor related software
will run on the Toshiba SpursEngine.  Regarding it's plans Fixstars announced
that it is developing software for homogeneous multicore systems instead. That
announcement, made last December, is here:

http://www.fixstars.com/en/company/press/20091216.html

Therefore, all be told, the interesting work on forward looking and advanced
systems continues but most likely will be carried forward elsewhere by a
different Linux distribution.

Given how IBM has moved historically, newer designs should be coming to market
surpassing the Cell and Intel i7 homogeneous designs early this year and build
market presence firmly.

That the Cell has been hacked will force proliferation of a variety of Linux
distributions running on the Cell as the market gradually moves to whatever IBM
has designed as whatever it envisions as it's progression "beyond the Cell". It
is a safe bet that the Linux distribution ready to run on IBM's new design
"beyond the Cell" will be the next premier distribution to use for serious
forward looking work.

=========
Refranes/Popular sayings:
The Taino say:No hay mal que por bien no venga.
There is no evil out of which good cannot blossom.