[ydl-gen] Sound on G4 PowerMac (digital audio)

Stephen Harker sjh at adfa.edu.au
Thu Jul 1 08:30:39 JST 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:52:41AM -0400, Derick Centeno wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 07:35:19 -0600
> Thomas Carlson <tcarlson at sharedcup.com> wrote:
>
> > Derick:
> >
> > I did what you suggested:  changed my window manager to xfce (very
> > nice, I'm keeping it) and went to Settings/Settings Manager/Sound.
> > All the controls are at 0 which tells me that the default setting is
> > not recognizing the sound card.  In the Volume Control utility I
> > can't get it to go from headphone to PC speaker.  I had the same
> > problem with a Debian installation a while back.  Maybe PowerMac G4
> > (Digital Audio) is an oddball among the other PM G4s.
> >
> > Thanks for the response, though.
> >
> > Tom
>
> Try this Tom:
>
> >From anywhere within the xfce desktop right-click and then select
> Settings --> Mixer Settings.  This dialog, simply called sound, is more
> specific in controlling the hardware; on my system there are two
> options default and something called PowerMac Snapper.  PowerMac
> Snapper works for me, if you've a different card it should show up
> there.

One question, should this powermac G4 be using the snd-aoa driver
(http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Aoa> rather than snd-powermac
<http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Powermac>?  I don't know what the
correct module is for the model listed.

With my iBook G4 1.33MHz 12inch I found that snd-powermac did not
work.  To get snd-aoa to work I had to compile a kernel without
snd-powermac but with snd-aoa.  If I had both lsmod would always list
snd-powermac as would the system-config-soundcard utility and sound
would not work.  After compiling the new kernel sound works and I
have:

# cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [SoundByLayout  ]: AppleOnbdAudio - SoundByLayout
                      SoundByLayout

# lsmod | grep snd
snd_aoa_codec_tas      10697  2
snd_aoa_fabric_layout     9534  0
snd_aoa_i2sbus         18011  1
snd_aoa                14732  2 snd_aoa_codec_tas,snd_aoa_fabric_layout
snd_seq_dummy           1450  0
snd_seq_oss            30167  0
snd_seq_midi_event      5604  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                52321  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device          5849  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss            40852  0
snd_mixer_oss          16222  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                71703  2 snd_aoa_i2sbus,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              19637  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc          6365  1 snd_pcm
snd                    50847  11 snd_aoa_codec_tas,snd_aoa_fabric_layout,snd_aoa_i2sbus,snd_aoa,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               6008  1 snd
snd_aoa_soundbus        3889  2 snd_aoa_fabric_layout,snd_aoa_i2sbus

Stephen Harker                           s.harker at adfa.edu.au
PEMS
UNSW at ADFA