[ydl-gen] Syslog question regarding mysterious shutdowns

Nick Jones nicholas-jones at uiowa.edu
Sat May 22 04:50:37 JST 2010

Hi,

I have an xserve G5 running YDL 4.1 (I'm pretty sure, can't find a way to
check this easily nor can I remember, but did a package search and that is
what came up).  It started gracefully shutting down on me every once in
awhile for no rhyme or reason that I can see (I say graceful because I've
encountered no signs of a crash, such as an inconsistent filesystem).

I can't find anything in the logs regarding why it is shutting down.  My
conclusion is that syslogd is not saying anything about the shutdown to
/var/log/messages or anything else under /var/log/*

It is on a battery backup with several other pieces of hardware, all of
which exhibit no problems related to power.  I disconnected the USB cable
from the battery backup but the problem persists.

Any help would be appreciated.  I hope I'm not missing something obvious.

Nick