[ydl-gen] thank you

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Wed May 26 10:02:16 JST 2010

On Tue, 25 May 2010 11:13:51 -0700
james gray <pointerleft at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes frustration does exist. !.
> I attempted sha1 in Bash and it does not work. seemingly. so i posted
> a question about 15 minutes ago, as to what is the default shell
> that Linux is built on.
>
> after all of the bs below, as i was cleaning off the desk top i did
> see a file with a Linux download drive inside and dragged it, the
> drive onto the terminal curser to get its path and tried to check it
> in a debug option and got nowhere.
>
> This is a small fragment of what i did try over a period of 3 hours:
> and several other variations from the man sha1 in BASH , i did go on
> line and found :
> openssl sha1 <path/filename.ext>
>
> I then went in and did a debug option:
> $ openssl sha1 -d
> /Users/polymorphous/Desktop/yellowdog-6.2-ppc-DVD_20090629.iso
> BIO[00409A30]:ctrl(6) - FILE pointer
> BIO[00409A30]:ctrl return 0
> BIO[00409A30]:ctrl(108) - FILE pointer
> BIO[00409A30]:ctrl return 0
> /Users/polymorphous/Desktop/yellowdog-6.2-ppc-DVD_20090629.iso: No
> such file or directory
> BIO[00409A30]:Free - FILE pointer
>
> A issue of file permissions kept coming up so i did a Mac OS Disk
> Utility file permissions check and repair.
>
> and then did this:
>
> $ openssl sha1 -hex
> /Users/polymorphous/Desktop/yellowdog-6.2-ppc-DVD_20090629.iso.download/
> Read Error in
> /Users/polymorphous/Desktop/yellowdog-6.2-ppc-DVD_20090629.iso.download/
> 256:error:0200B015:system library:fread:Is a directory:bss_file.c:167:
> 256:error:20082002:BIO routines:FILE_READ:system lib:bss_file.c:168:
> $ openssl sha1 -c
> /Users/polymorphous/Desktop/yellowdog-6.2-ppc-DVD_20090629.iso.download/
> Read Error in
> /Users/polymorphous/Desktop/yellowdog-6.2-ppc-DVD_20090629.iso.download/
> 276:error:0200B015:system library:fread:Is a directory:bss_file.c:167:
> 276:error:20082002:BIO routines:FILE_READ:system lib:bss_file.c:168:
> $ open sha1 -verify
> /Users/polymorphous/Desktop/yellowdog-6.2-ppc-DVD_20090629.iso.download/
> 2010-05-25 10:14:14.664 open[643] No such
> file: /Users/polymorphous/sha1 ----------------------------------
> $ openssl sha1 -signature $ open sha1 -verify
> /Users/polymorphous/Desktop/yellowdog-6.2-ppc-DVD_20090629.iso.download/
> open: No such file or directory
> sha1: No such file or directory
> -verify: No such file or directory
> Read Error in
> /Users/polymorphous/Desktop/yellowdog-6.2-ppc-DVD_20090629.iso.download/
> 653:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or
> directory:bss_file.c:278:fopen('open','r')
> 653:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system lib:bss_file.c:280:
> 653:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or
> directory:bss_file.c:278:fopen('sha1','r')
> 653:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system lib:bss_file.c:280:
> 653:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or
> [...]

I noticed your post so I'm going to explain the procedure for using
the SHA1SUM command and using the SHA1SUM value step by step.

It doesn't matter what shell you are in, the SHA1SUM command will work
if used in the correct syntax.  You already know that when the shell
prompt shows $, you are in user mode; when the prompt shows #, you
are in root mode.

Notice:  I believe that the SHA1SUM test can be executed in user mode.
It's been some years since I had to download and test an .iso download
myself.  If you have any difficulty in using the user mode, then just
execute the test and the procedures I explained below from within root
mode.

It is a good idea to set your browser to send all downloads to one
specific directory, for me I call this directory Downloads.  So what
you see below is that within bash I've moved into the Downloads
directory; it is this directory where a .iso would be downloaded into.
What follows is my switching from bash to ksh while staying within user
mode:

[aguila at arakus Downloads]$ ksh
$

Now regardless whether I am in bash, ksh or any other shell as long as
I have moved into the same directory where the downloaded .iso file
exists.  I execute the SHA1SUM command exactly in the following manner:

$SHA1SUM yellowdog-6.1-ppc-DVD_20081119.iso

Explanation:
Note that after $ the entire name SHA1SUM is typed.  The command is
followed by the name of the downloaded file which ends in .iso; the
above is merely an example.  After .iso merely press the Enter key and
then a SHA1SUM value associated with the downloaded .iso file will be
generated.

This generated number needs to be compared against the SHA1SUM value
which the vendor reports as the correct value.  If the two values (the
one generated by the SHA1SUM test on the file downloaded onto your
computer and the value reported by the vendor) match, then you can be
sure that the downloaded file was not corrupted in transmission as it
was downloaded onto your computer.

The matching sequence -- what to notice:
The SHA1SUM test generates as many as 40 characters which include a
mixture of letters and numbers in a specific sequence.  Each letter and
number must exactly match the sequence reported by the vendor.

In our case, the vendor is Fixstars because they produced Yellowdog
Linux.  Therefore we need to find a file where they report the SHA1SUM
value which represents a clean and working copy of Yellowdog Linux.  An
example of such a file is located here:

http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/SHA1SUM

You will notice that the SHA1SUM value is on the left, and the file
name of the .iso associated with that unique SHA1SUM value is on the
right.  The way to read this (and similar files) is that each row/line
is distinct and separate from the one above.  Therefore the SHA1SUM
value associated with yellowdog-6.1-ppc-DVD_20081119.iso produced by
Fixstars is to the immediate left.

If you have followed my example up to this point where we have
downloaded the above .iso, then only after the .iso has completely
downloaded do I run/execute the SHA1SUM command on my computer as I
explained above. My computer should then generate the SHA1SUM value for
the file I downloaded -- if there is any deviation from the sequence
the vendor reports; download the .iso file again.  Maybe you have a
"dirty" or noisy connection, there is interference or another problem.

It is recommended that you download these very large files using
nothing less than DSL or faster.  If you still have problems choose a
mirror closer to where you live.  If you are in Australia, downloading
from Oregon makes no sense.  Find a closer mirror to you.

Finding a mirror closer to where you are doesn't change the SHA1SUM
values you need to compare; it does increase the chances however that
the .iso you download will be cleaner and have less transmission errors
as the distance to get to you is shorter.

You can execute the SHA1SUM test from any shell within the user mode
Please note that any Linux distribution would require use the SHA1SUM
value in a similar way where the SHA1SUM command executed on the
downloaded .iso file which generates a SHA1SUM value is compared
against the SHA1SUM reported by the vendor.  Different vendors will
report different SHA1SUM values for their respective products what
remains the same across vendors and distributions are the comparison
procedures.

If you want more references the resource below may be helpful:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsi/g/isofile.htm

Also feel free to visit and participate on the Yellowdog Linux Board,
here: http://yellowdog-board.com/

All the best...