[ydl-gen] thank you

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Fri May 28 00:04:10 JST 2010

On Thu, 27 May 2010 07:30:30 -0700
james gray <pointerleft at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just went back in to the admin and tried again and here are the
> results at more explicit, without having to remember.
> This is the instructions from the source:
> Or, you may also conduct a media check prior to burning the ISO, from
> the command line as follows:
>
>         sha1sum /[path]/[to]/[ydl].iso [ENTER]
>
> ... which will output a SHA1SUM which you compare against the SHA1SUM
> in the SHA1SUM file.
> And what i receive is shown below:
> using upper case, lower, case any case, sslsha1 or whatever, feral
> cat 2, does not matter. pure fecal experience.
>

> $ sha1sum
> /Users/polymorphous/Desktop/fire_downL/yellowdog-6.2-ppc-DVD_20090629.iso
> -bash: sha1sum: command not found
> -------------
> $SHA1SUM
> /Users/polymorphous/Desktop/fire_downL/yellowdog-6.2-ppc-DVD_20090629.iso
> -bash: SHA1SUM: command not found
>
> -------------
> $ SHA1 yellowdog-6.2-ppc-DVD_20090629.iso
> -bash: SHA1: command not found
>
> $ sha1 yellowdog-6.2-ppc-DVD_20090629.iso
> -bash: sha1: command not found

Ok, James, believe it or not we are a little closer to getting this
done.

First point, sha1 and sha1sum are different commands.  You can discover
that for yourself by doing:

$man sha1
$info sha1
$man sha1sum
$info sha1sum

The above can also be executed in root.

Ok.  Obviously, sha1sum did not work in user mode; execute the sha1sum
command in root mode.  Keep in mind that in Linux, there exist a few
commands which can only be executed from within the directory where
their binaries exist which means you have to know where those
directories are.  The short-cut is to invoke the root mode using the
- flag which tells root that all commands throughout the entire
  directory tree in Linux are available to you as though they were in
  the same top-level directory and available to be immediately executed.
The sequence to invoke this from user mode is the following:

[aguila at arakus ~]$ su -
Password:
[root at arakus ~]#

For clarification, the user mode and root mode should have different
passwords as a way of maintaining clarity for Linux and yourself which
account (root or user) one is using at any one time.

Once you are in root mode try executing the sha1sum again.  It should
work without difficulty.  Make sure that the sha1sum value produced on
the .iso exactly matches the sha1sum value reported by the vendor.

Remember it doesn't matter which shell you are using -- bash, ksh, csh,
ash -- what matters is that you execute the root mode, as you have
demonstrated that sha1sum cannot be executed from within user mode.

Remember the short-cut I explained above.

All the best...