[ydl-gen] YDL for CUDA 6.3

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Tue May 31 11:42:34 JST 2011

My comments follow yours below...

On 5/30/2011 9:31 PM, Robert Spykerman wrote:
> Om 2011/5/31 heeft Derick Centeno <dcenteno at ydl.net> geschreven:
>
>> ...Your question regarding "where the users hang out...?" is best seen.....
>
> Sorry, perhaps you misunderstand me, I was probably not making myself clear.
>
> I was wondering where the official forum/support for YDL for CUDA actually is.
> Perhaps this is it. Or perhaps there is only a 'paid-up' one.
>
> Secondly, do people actually use it? Given the paucity of any hits on google..

YDL.net is the site where you can query Fixstars regarding what is
current.  Perhaps I didn't explicitly emphasize this but Fixstars is
working with CUDA as well as enhancing it for their users.  If you check
their site you'll see more detail; my reference to them was that I
believe they still do a better job than all the other CUDA versions out
there.  In that specific sense, only the YDL distribution of CUDA
interests me because I believe that Fixstars is carrying forward what
Terra Soft Solutions had to let go.  I can be proven wrong of course,
but I've not learned yet that other distributions are as serious or
determined as Fixstars.

I very lightly suggested why a google search would be fairly useless at
this stage of Linux development regarding CUDA and similar efforts.  It
is a matter that commercial interests don't want to show their cards as
well as that the engineering effort and required investment is quite
outside of the typical area of consumer attention as many are distracted
by games, entertainment, etc.

>> .... As far as "trying CUDA out" ...
>
> CUDA is quite everywhere. There's fortunately no lack of
> documentation. I was actually referring to trying out this specific
> distro and my concerns as note above.

I also wasn't clear.  My point is not that CUDA is not everywhere, but
rather the commitment and strength behind those other distributions have
been very sketchy and incomplete in comparison to what Fixstars
releases, in my opinion.  I base that view on my experience of having
observed Fixstars and how they took on the baton passed to them from
Terra Soft Solutions.

In it's time Terra Soft Solutions was very unique and focused in high
end programming and developing their YDL product to function within
extremely demanding high-end environments.  I'm sure it's still
available on the web somewhere how several companies consistently chose
YDL as their Linux distribution of choice as opposed to others because
the tools to engage upon serious high-end and advanced engineering were
included and developed within YDL.  I can't convey a belief as evidence
for you, but I think it may still be true that other distributions are
not attending to the details that Fixstars attends to.  I could be
wrong, you'll have to see for yourself.

> Maybe it'll be clearer once the download comes through, but in the
> interim, if anyone knows a bit more and can enlighten me, I'd be very
> grateful :)
>
> Robert
> --
> chown -R us ./base

I'll have to see if I move onto YDL with CUDA myself.  Maybe soon.  Then
we'll see if maybe I'll be able to share more factual details!
Until then, All the Best...