[ydl-gen] Any way to install YDL using a usb on a Mac G4 PPC that has troubles booting from a dvd

Louis Labrie llabrie at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 19:07:25 JST 2012

On Mar 2, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Will Lentz <coolguy.lentz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi I am having troubles booting a mac G4 PPC with very low ram and cpu and would like to try booting from a usb stick  is there any possible way???

Yes it is I've done it on my eMac 1GHz 1GB RAM USB 1.1 supposedly not bootable on USB it's done from open firmware

Boot in open firmware by holding option+command+o+f. Then find out which is the device:

dev / ls
You should see somewhere usb with an extra entry disk, write that number down usb19 or something in my case. Then have a look at the devalias:

devalias
Now it's either usb0 or usb1 which is associated with usb19. This is your boot device, in my case usb1. Then boot:

boot usb1/disk at 1:2,\\yaboot (or)
boot usb0/disk at 1:2,\\yaboot
Hope this helps

Louis