Graphic display problem

Michael R. Chial yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 09:07:57 -0500

Hi, newbie here.

I've successfully installed Linux (2.2 kernal) on a Mac 8600 to a
second hard drive.  I can start Linux in text mode, but get hash (my
View Sonic GT775 tells me "no signal") in graphic mode and I see what
appear to be un-synched blue/black bars on the monitor.  The video
driver card is the standard 8600 unit, and my video adapter
connector is set to the resolution noted below.  When running OS 9.1,
everything  is dandy.

During Boot-X set up (image mode), I selected this monitor from the
provided list, and a resolution of 1024 by 768.  Subsequent attempts
at setting the two Boot-X video switches to all possible combinations
yields the same outcome.  One switch (in the options panel) allows
force video on or off; the other on the main panel refers to video
drivers.

Once started, the text mode works fine.  But when I log in as root
and enter "startx" I get the same old trash.

about RedHat suggests running Xautoconfig (I gather YD is based on
RedHat 7.0).  I'm new enough not to know how to run these from root.

Dumb, but I no longer have the monitor manual.  And I have no idea
how to find out what chip is on the video hardware component of the
8600.  The ViewSonic site lists no specs for the GT775, but does for
the Pro G775 (I have H & V frequency ranges).  I'm puzzled by the
problem, given the configuration choices allowed prior to the Linux
build.

Any help would be welcome.  For example, is there any way to access
monitor choices (part of the Boot-X set up) from root in text mode?

Thanks,

MRC