Cannot install bootstrap for YDL 2.2 on G4 Powerbook

Ioannis Zannos yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 06:43:43 -0700

Help!

In trying to install YDL 2.2 from the install CD
onto a G4 Powerbook 660 MHz, 48 GB HD, I get through
all the steps, only to stop at the end when the installer
asks to copy the bootloader onto the boot partition.
Here is the error that I get:

-----
Bug Report Traceback:

TypeError: bad operand type(s) for +

File "/usr/lib/yi/bootloader/py", line 463, in
configure
  self.append = self.append + ("%s=ide-scsi" % device)

File "/usr/lib/yi/template.py", line 57, in __call__
   return self.configure(args)
-----

Installation details:

Powerbook G4, 660 MHz, 768 MB Ram, 48 GB HD, CD RW -
non DVD drive.

HD Partitions:
hda (IBM-IC25T048ATDA05-0)
/dev/hda9 name: untitled filesystem none, size 10MB
/dev/hda13 name swap filesystem: linux-swap, size 256
MB
/dev/hda14 name untitled filesstem ext2 size 10.9GB
/dev/hda10 name utitled 2 filesystem hfs size 2097 MB
/dev/hda11 name untitled 3 filesystem hfs size 16.6 GB
/dev/hda12 name untitled 4 filesystem hfs size 14.9 GB
unused name free filesystem none size 12 KB

Note: when making the partitions for Linux, I made
sure that /dev/hda9 is formatted as bootloader, and the
result is filesystem hfs for the 10MB boodload partition.
But when I repeat the installation after failure of
the bootloader installation and the above reported
error, the format for /dev/hda9 is filesystem none.

I would very much appreciate your help in solving this
problem. Currently, I am unable to boot Linux from the
HD. I can use Mac OS 9.2 from /dev/hda10 by booting
the Mac in the usual way.

Best regards,

Iannis Zannos
CREATE, UCSB