Can't mount YDL CD?

Eric D. yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 18:53:48 -0400

on 28/4/02 17:47, Vance McMillan at v.mcmillan@microdot.co.nz wrote:

> on 25/4/02 20:47, Vance McMillan at v.mcmillan@microdot.co.nz wrote:
>
>>> Hi, have downloaded YDL 2.2, burnt it to a CD, and when I try to start up,
>>> simply says it can't mount the CD/DVD ROM.... Help?
>>>
>>> Current setup is a 9600 with Os 9.1 on one SCSI drive (8GB) and unformatted
>>> 4GB SCSI drive waiting for Linux. *GB (MacOs is SCSI ID 6 and unformatted
>>> patition is ID 0 - should this be changed around as well?
>>
>> What app did you use to burn YDL to disk? Did you "mount" the disk image in
>> the OS 9 Finder? What says (OS 9, Linux, etc?) it can't mount the CD/DVD ROM?
>>
>> Eric.
>>

> The CD was burnt using Toast 5.1, as HFS format. It can be mounted quite
> happily in OS 9 Finder.
>
> When I am booting up, BootX gives the option of loading MacOS 9 or Linux.
> Selecting Linux with ramdisk image 2.2 then boots linux and starts to run
> through the install process. I select the keyboard mapping, and then when I
> try to go on to the next step, Linux tells me that it can't mount
> CD/DVD-ROM.

What seemed to work for me was to boot with gui22-install (or whatever it
was called). If I booted with the default gui-install or with a text based
installer it would give me the same error (plus, it would give me a
different error b/c I didn't have enough disk space).

To be honest, I don't see any difference between 2.1 and 2.2 (then again, I
don't know what I'm looking for... though, it does now work better with my
monitor)