6100 and 2.2

l.biagiotti yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 18:44:29 +0200

Hi all,

So back on track the last news are that I asked my father-in-law to lend me
an old 4x external cd drive.

By so doing I finally could bypass the hardware problem generated by my
stock internal cd reader.

Now I have other problems (not surprised tho' ...) :

After launching the graphical MkLinux Booter and starting the YDL 2.2
installation everything goes well until the point in which the installer
starts "transferring packages". After a few minutes I get the following
error: "Errors running transaction set! Please correct this manually".

The only option at this point is "ok" so there it goes, immediately after I
get a new popup that reads "Package install failed". After that I get
"teleported" back at the installation menu in which I see that I still have
to configure:
-Network setup
-Timezone
-System services
-Security
-Account creation.

No matter what I try, if I choose any of the above items and try to set it I
invariably get a big popup that tells me that I got a "FATAL ERROR" in all
capitals ...

I tried reinstalling everything from scratch four times, I always get the
same errors.

Needless to say that I also tried to end the installation pretending
everything was all right, then I tried configuring lilo.conf to start Linux
and, at (Linux) boot got the following error: "kernel panic: init failed -
try -init= passing kernel parameters" or whatever.

I find that this is quite a progress for me after having been stuck for
whole days in front of an unsupported cd drive :-).

As always I have no clue as to what to do at this point; it seems to me that
the above errors depend on the fact that some vital packages have not been
copied on my root partition. Is there any way to correct the problem? What
should I do to overcome this situation?

Thanks again for all the support I have got from you so far.

Lorenzo