YDL 2.2 install on 6100 (and other NuBus)

Mark L. Alexander yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 16:29:44 -0500

--
	I've not experimented with PPPoE, but I did successfully get
YDL 2.2, along with X (both KDE and Gnome) and dialup access, running
on a G3-upgraded Power 100. That box is no longer mine...
	As Shawn Dunn stated, MkLinux is probably the easiest route
for newbies; its current distro is an entirely user-supported effort
(a la Debian) and may not have the latest-and-greatest stuff. Purists
will sneer that it's not "real" Linux; it was originally intended as
an engineer's mule for OS X (as it's based on the OSF Mach kernel,
with a Linux emulator wrapped around it). Nevertheless it's the only
one guaranteed to run on NuBus hardware; I myself tried it on the
aforementioned Power 100 back when it was still an official Apple
project. If you're interested in the Darwin/OS X for NuBus effort,
you'll want to try this.
	The current LinuxPPC/Yellow Dog effort is a project started
by Takashi Oe and maintained by him, Etsushi Kato, and Tyler Smith.
It is considered a public alpha, for development and testing only;
Kato-sensei maintains the most current builds presently. Installation
is not as straightforward as MkLinux, as it requires seperate
custom-built kernels for installation and runtime, along with either
a modified version of BootX, or the latest MkLinux Booter. Both will
require several kernel commands dealing with RAM and video. Also,
you'll need a customized Xautoconfig if you plan on using X.
	MOL (Mac On Linux) is not known to work with any distribution
running on NuBus machines at this time; if you need Mac capability,
boot your Mac as such.
	ext3 filesystems are supported with the current kernel, and
are strongly recommended (use the 'tune2fs -j -i0 /dev/sdxx' command
and edit /etc/fstab). reiserfs is not known to work.
	If you have a G3 accelerator things can get especially hairy.
Only NewerTech's MAXpowr series are known to work with YDL, and those
not always reliably. Running Linux on a G3-equipped NuBus machine is
most definitely the bloodiest of bleeding edges, particularly when
NuBus video, SCSI voodoo, non-standard motherboards, and CD-R/RW
drives are added to the mix.
	SourceForge's original nubus-pmac web site, by Takashi Oe:

	http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net

	Etsushi Kato's ftp site for the latest builds and YDL installers:

	ftp://ppc.linux.or.jp/pub/users/ekato/nubus-pmac/current/

	I also have a preliminary HOWTO available, describing disk
partitioning, RAM and video setup, notes on package selection, and so
forth, and will mail it to list members on request.
	Mark L. Alexander
	alexander750@earthlink.net