About to Give up on YDL for PM 6500s

Ellis Skinazi yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:29:15 +0100

Forgive me if I return to the original thread ...

With some advice from the YDL team I've successfully installed the
"recommended" software suite for YDL-2.3 on a G3-266MHz(Beige) with 384MB
RAM. It all went very smoothly!

However, I've not re-configured anything, and I'm new to YDL, but not to
Linux (i386 and others).

Now, from what I know of the PM 6500; while it supports various processors,
the maximum memory that it supports is 128 MB of EDO RAM (Apple spec.??). I
think that YDL-2.3 with the "recommended" install will over-whelm it ...
with the "recommended" install on my G3 (remember I've not re-configured
anything i.e. mySql!) and XFree 4.2.0 running, the system is using 256MB of
RAM (that's why I increased the RAM to 384MB).

One of the earlier distributions might be a better choice as it will be less
resource hungry (memory!!)??	My opinion!

I installed YDL-2.3 by formatting the disk and creating the Mac boot
partition using Drive Setup in Mac OS 9.0, leaving the remaining space for
the Linux root and Swap partitions as free/unallocated space (just a big
lump of empty disk space after the Mac partition).

Using the YDL installer (after booting with vmlinux-2.2 through BootX), I
created the 2 Linux partitions for Root and Swap, and continued with the
"recommended" install. It worked fine for me. Very slick as a matter of
fact!

In the Windows, Linux and Unix worlds a hard disk can only have 4 primary
partitions (well only 4 partitions, whether primary or extended), but Apple
have a custom partitioning scheme that creates the 4 small partitions
mentioned elsewhere in this "thread", and the other stuff in partitions
numbered 5 and up, whether they be Mac, Linux or some other System. The
installer works around this for the Mac, to install Linux without
"hurting/changing" the Mac OS partitioning scheme.

There has also been some discussion about network cards under Linux, so I've
included the following link for those that wish to look into it further ...
http://www.scyld.com/page/support/network/

Most PCI hardware from the PC will work on the Mac (BUT NOT GRAPHICS
CARDS!!!). As an example the Mac can "use" any SCSI card, but it can only
boot from a SCSI card that supports Open Firmware (old-world Mac's??). So it
will boot from an Adaptec APD-2930 (Mac) but NOT from a AHA-2940 (PC), but
it and Linux can use the AHA-2940. For other types of PCI cards, the Linux
Kernel has to support the card i.e. the Netgear FA-311 (National
Semiconductor) NIC is not supported until the newer kernels (v2.4.? ... I'm
not sure exactly).

Hope this helps ... but "Your Mileage May Vary"??

--
Regards		If at first you don't succeed -
Ellis Skinazi	Skydiving's not for you