Radeon 8500 support?

Markus Deistler yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 03 Dec 2002 09:45:32 +0000

Hi,

Rael333@aol.com wrote:

> I am brand spanking new to Linux -- about to install YDL 2.3, but I notic=
ed
> that the ATI Radeon 8500 agp graphics card for mac is not supported. Does
> that mean it's not not not supported? Or just that I have to go looking f=
or

I means that you will have to write a driver yourself or wait until some
volunteer has performed enough reverse engineering, guessing hardware specs
and writen a nice driver. Please go to http://www.xfree86.org and look for
docs and support status, there is plenty of stuff there. Probably your
ATI-card is already supported in X4.2.1 (YDL has X4.2.0) or is going to be
supported in the next X-Release (4.3).

Very recently released graphics cards aren't usually supported (yet) by X
unless the manufacturer *does* provide a driver for X and linux. Most
manufacturers of graphics cards develop drivers for Windoze and Mac, and
nothing else.

Markus

-- =20
|MARKUS DEISTLER                        msdeistler@freenet.de |
|KRIEMHILDSTR. 18, 90461 N=DCRNBERG,     MOBIL -> 0162/6906779  |
|                                        TEL -> 0911/4099232  |