Video Problems with 2.3

Dylan Hand yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 03 Dec 2002 21:55:49 -0500

I really want to run Yellow Dog Linux, but this i'm getting pretty mad
right now. here's the story:
Specs:
iBook 800MHz
Radeon Mobility 7500 AGP
Yellow Dog Linux 2.3

Here we go:
When i try to install Linux from the CD, i have to use the
"install-text-safe" modifier (i guess that means Text install with no
video driver) or else I get a black screen. So then I finish installing
and have to run linux with the "-novideo" modifier or else I get the
same problem as before. The only way I can start the X server is by
running it in 8-Bit mode using the "fbdev" driver. If I use the "ati"
driver or "radeon" (even if it's on 8-bit) the video gets all screwed
up. It looks like a it would be a refresh rate problem if it was a CRT
monitor. I think XFree86 4.2.1 would fix this problem because it says
that it has support for Radeons, however I can not find a PPC binary of
it anywhere and I have no idea how to build one from the source code.
Any help is appreciated, TIA