Darn Qpopper, won't configure!, says gcc don't work

Stuart Balfour yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 22:06:23 -0800 (PST)

>./configure on Qpopper4.0.4.  I get as a result,
>checking for gcc... gcc
>checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
>configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
>create executables.

In the directory being configured, there ought to be a config.log that
will have more detailed info.  Gcc tries to compile and link some simple
test program, then execute it.  Among the oft surprising things it needs
are assert.h, crt1.o, crtn.o, crtbegin.o, etc... config.log will show
you which thing wasn't found.  Most likely, gcc isn't at fault; some
system type file wasn't found.

                             Stuart