YDL won't boot after install

Mark Sissons yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 10:04:04 -0500

I've tried everything I can think of but I'm having no success.

SETUP:

G4/400 SAWTOOTH (AGP)

BUS 0
TARGET HD set as MASTER -- QUANTUM FIREBALL 6 GB
OS X 10.2.2 HD set as SLAVE -- WDC 40 GB

BUS 1
CD DRIVE set as MASTER -- YAMAHA CD-RW 2200E
OS 9.2.2 HD set as SLAVE -- WDC 4 GB

-----------------

I prepared the target drive while the computer was booted in OS 9.2.2
using Drive Setup version 2.0.7 from Mac OS 9.2.1. I made the target
drive an HFS drive, not HFS Extended.

I inserted the YDL install CD that I prepared from the online image
file, restarted with "C" key held down, and the installer CD booted
fine.

At the FORMATTING stage, I removed the Mac HFS partition and then
made a 10 MB boot, 256 MB SWAP and ~6 GB ROOT partition as suggested
on the screen of the installer.

The rest of the installation works just fine, and the yaboot setup
screen puts it's stuff in the boot partition... note that this ends
up at hda10, since there are now more Mac driver partitions compared
to what is suggested on the yellow dog webpage. This must be
something different with Drive Setup 2.0.7 compared to earlier
versions. The YDL website info suggests that the boot partition will
end up at hda7.

After entering all remaining data and getting to the last step of the
install, the computer restarts.

There is no YABOOT selector screen however. Instead, after about 1/2
second display of the small blue folder ICON with the "?" on it, the
computer quickly settles on booting from Mac OS 9 again (which was
the last previously valid boot point).

If I restart and hold down the OPTION key, I see three valid boot
points displayed: MAC OS 9, YDL install CD, MAC OS X but not the
target drive with YDL freshly installed.

Even the Yellow Dog website suggests that a separate HD for LINUX is
the ideal setup, so I'm not doing anything so bad, right?...

I have also successfully tested an OS X 10.2 install to the target
(works fine) and a DARWIN FreeBSD install to the target (also works
fine).

YDL isn't working out however. What has changed??? I believe there
are others in the same boat based on some posts in the newsgroup
"comp.os.linux.powerpc".

HELP!!!