Help: Installed YDL2.3, but looking for old kernel

Nathan Mattick yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:56:05 +0100

Thanks Andrew,

That sounds like good advice.

I remember chosing to select the vmlinux from the BootX pop-up list first
time round, but the screen display went horribly wrong. So rebooted and
selected the vmlinux_2.2... and it worked (at least into KDE3, then apps
didn't function).

Will check I've the correct kernel in the syst. folder, boot again and
report (success?) back... but I'm confident that you've already solved this
for me!

Nathan.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Stout [mailto:astout2@swarthmore.edu]
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 9:35 AM
To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: Re: Help: Installed YDL2.3, but looking for old kernel

>Folks,
>
>What happened here please...
>
>Installed YDL2.3 on PPC.
>
>When I boot, there are two errors:
>
>[1] Finding module dependencies: depmod: can't open 2.2.19-1r/modules for
>writing
>[2] Mounting local file system: mount: fs type tmpsfs not supported by
>kernel
>
>[Q1]
>It can't find [1] since there's only /lib/modules/2.4.19-4a in that
>directory. So why is it looking for the older kernel (I would have
installed
>that I think with YDL2.1 - but I reformatted the HD before installing
>YDL2.3). Is there something in BootX that I need to configure (I select
>vmlinux_2.2 when I boot to Linux)?

no expert here, but I think that's your problem.  Right now you're
telling BootX to boot using the 2.2.19 kernel, which is (apparently)
incompatable with a bunch of the stuff you have installed.  Probably
you have an old BootX preferences rattling around, either from a
posts saying people could only install in 2.2, but installed and
subsequently ran 2.4)?  Anyway, the first thing I'd try is to pop up
that menu in BootX that says vmlinux_2.2 and select the 2.4 kernel,
which is (at least on mine) called simply "vmlinux".  If that isn't
an option, you probably didn't install the YDL2.3 kernels into your
MacOS System folder.  Dig up your 2.3 install CD find those
kernels--I think they're in the folder "install".  Drag "vmlinux" to
the Linux Kernels folder in your system folder, then give BootX a
whirl.

Hope this helps,
Andrew Stout
pseudo-newbie