A TOTAL newbie.

l.biagiotti yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:22:44 +0200

Hi all,

I decided to subscribe the TerraSoft mailing list (thanks for the
opportunity!) after having spent LOTS of hour trying to install YDL 2.2 on a
6100/60 PowerMac and, having roamed around the net in the search for
solutions, tips, tricks and such.

The result of the above is that I was quite confused before beginning my
"quest" and that I am MORE than confused now ... there are so many infos out
there, and so many places that try their best to be of help that I can't
keep up with the whole. Furthermore, as I do not possess enough knowledge on
the Unix/Linux matter, I really cannot filter correctly all the material I
get to read.

To cut a long story short:

I have a 6100/60 with a 4gig hd, 40mb of ram and a 40x Pioneer DR 706s "slot
as I would love to just be able to install Linux at present; eventual
incompatibility with this card I will investigate later).

I have been trying to boot with the (original) YFL 2.2 cd in vain;
apparently the 6100 doesn-t recognize this cd as a valid bootable media...

I have been trying to use BootX but, after installing and rebooting the
machine would just hang on a "type 10 error" caused by the BootX extension.
(Also tried to use two other BootX installers coming from a YDL 2.3 cd and
from a friend's YDL 2.2 cd just in case ... no way ...).

'Been trying to use MKLinux and, eventually got to see the install program
firmware bootup sequence but:

1) Either the install sequence would stop with a kernel panic because the
program was unable to find the cd-rom drive

2) Either I would get the graphical RedHat installation sequence which would
en up rebooting the machine after failing to find any livesystem and/or the
cd drive (more of the same...).

3) I even tried to copy the content of the whole YDL 2.2 cd on my hard drive
to no avail. The RedHat installer would fail in finding any kernel Installer
on the drive ...

I do not konw wether I'm missing anything or if I followed the right steps
... as I am using the kernel that was bundled with the MKLinux installer I
do not even know if it is compatible with YDL 2.2 installer or not.

As I said before I'm starting to mess things up between MkLinux's kernel,
the kernels that are present in the YDL cd, the kernels I found at the
SourceForge site ... I start fearing that my cd -rom drive just will not be
recognized under Linux and I don't know how (and if) there is any workaround
for this problem ... in short I'm stuck without a clue. I've also been
trying to post at the TuxPPC forum but so far I didn't get a single reply.
Anybody's willing to shed a little light in the darkness?

Thanks in advance and sorry for being so long but I couldn't find a better
way to put all the above in short.

Lorenzo