6100 and 2.2

Peter Hutnick yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:15:23 -0600 (MDT)

> on 30-07-2002 23:48, Thomas Carlson at tcarls@earthlink.net wrote:

> At this point it sounds to me that having to change my cd drive in order
> to be able to install a Linux distro really is the "last resort".
> Wouldn't it be more advisable to try and get a different distro like
> Mandrake or Suse perhaps?

This is a bad strategy.  First, realize that all Linux distros are based
on . . . Linux, which is a kernel and set of drivers.  Now, there are
variations from distro to distro, but blindly trying distros over a driver
issue is unlikely to be effective.

I'm not experienced with Mac hardware (Linux or no) so I can't offer
direct advice, but a better plan might be to verify that the drive works
reliably in some simpler way (on Intel I'd use DOS . . .), and if it does
verify that the drive /and the controller/ are supported in your version
of Linux.

Good Luck!

-Peter