YDL 2.2 and PPC 7500

Mark Walker yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 21:38:00 -0700

My second attempt to find a solution.
Will YDL 2.2 run on a PPC 7500 with 320 MB RAM, 2 SCSI HHD (9.1 GB and
4.5GB), Voodoo 3 2000, a Sonnet G3 400 upgrade card, a Belkin USB pci card
and no known hardware problems?
Mac OS 9.0.4 runs fine, yes that is a relative fine, the sole reason for
installing Linux.
If  you have had success in installing YDL on a system similar to this, I
would appreciate your help, suggestions, or even laughter, just no silence.
I have had experience installing Linux on Intel boxes with no problems.
When attempting to install, using BootX with the text ramdisk (the video
ramdisk will not run) selected, G3 cache enabled and selected, Force video
setting selected and using vmLinux 2.2 kernel (2.4 will not get past the
boot sequence before dying).  The problem that prior to finishing
installing, I get an error message stating a Segmentation Fault occurred and
to reboot.  This can occur during initial setup, formatting the partitions
(on the 9.1 GB drive: 10MB boot, 256 Swap, and 6883 ext2.  1.5 is for the
Mac OS) or while installing the packages.
I've been at this on and off for about a month.  I've downloaded and burned
2.2 three times (Win2000 boxes), checksum ran fine.
I can find nothing on any of the Linux for PPC sites.

I would greatly appreciate any help
Mark
Frustrated Wanting to run Linux on my Mac.