YDL 2.2 and PPC 7500

Marc Stergionis yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 22:28:00 -0600

Sometime around 8:45 PM -0600 on 6/15/02, Andrew McVinnie pounded out
this ditty:
>I think he means a Power Mac Model Number 7500, originally a 603e or
>604e RISC processor (I cant recall off the top of my head), its
>beige, sits on the desktop and his has a G3 Upgrade card in it.

Actually the 7500 had a 100mhz 601 processor. But it had PCI slots,
which put it ahead of the venerable 8100 that was all the rage just
before that.

In hindsight,  the PCI configuration gave  the 7500 much better
upgrade paths and expansion-slot capability,  compared with the
now-deadend NuBus slots in the 8100. The PCI-era ROMs also gave the
7500 the ability to install YDL and other flavors of Linux without
the limitations and special  kernels required for NuBus Macs. And the
G3/4 upgrade cards are more plentiful, cheaper and faster for the PCI
Macs.

I still loved  my 8100 clone though :)

-ms
--
Many have Montana envy ... the lucky get to live here!
Marc Stergionis