No Mac OS CD - What Now?

Andrew McVinnie yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:56:54 -0600

Hmmm, now that's an interesting problem.

You should be able to use whatever Mac OS CD you can get, even as old
as 7.5, to partition the Hard drive.

Actually, if you are just going to use the 7500 for YDL, you dont
really NEED Mac OS on it at all if you don't want it.  I think you
can startup from the YDL CD and delete all the partitions and just
make a nice large Linux Partition.  But you'd have to try, I've never
done that.

The partitioning thing in the YDL setup is written under the
assumption that you are adding YDL to your current computer, hence
you would want OS 9 and/or Mac OS X.  I don't see why you would need
a Mac OS on the machine at all, since finding a OS CD is a challenge.

As for disk images available from Apple, I think only OS 7.5 is
freely downloadable at this point.  However, making a bootable CD
from the 7.5 Disk Images might prove a little trickier.

Good Luck
Andrew McVinnie