DCPH - Cable modem problems

Eric D. yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:55:06 -0400

on 19/6/02 06:26, Greg at pressman57@cox.net wrote:

> Does anyone else have problems with ip addresses not getting into
> /etc/hosts using DHCP?  I've searched the lists with no luck.
>
> Thanks
> Greg Richardson

You may need to have your cable modem (CM) (I assume it's a CM) reset, or
have your cable ISP clear the MAC address in their DHCP server.

If you can used DHCP on the Mac side on the same computer the problems are
with the Linux install. If you can't use DHCP on the Mac side either you
have to deal with the MAC address problem as detailed above.

The MAC address is AKA the ethernet ID and is unique to each ethernet
device/computer/etc. CMs + DHCP servers _may_ remember (and fail to forget)
MAC addresses associated with a specific computer and should operate
regardless of the OS you happen to be running.

Eric.