New install - issues

Rob Guglielmetti yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 16 May 2002 10:31:25 -0400

Hello all.  I'm a long-time Linux newbie.  That's right, I
install it (x86), have a collection of issues, eventually give
up, then six months later I try again on new hardware
(x86), different distro, and have new problems!

Anyway I recently installed YDL2.2 on my G4 PowerBook
550.  Install worked fine, but I have a few issues I'd like
to ask about here:

::: Partitioning :::
I set up four partitions (OS9, OSX, YDL and a shared data
partition).  The idea was to have a partition available to
share files between OSX and YDL.  It's about 6GB and I
formatted it as HFS because I heard that YDL can't do
HFS+.  But then I read somewhere in the forums that HFS
"has problems with large disks".  Should I rethink this?
What is "large" by HFS' standards?  Should I make a
"small" HFS partition and use it purely for shuttling data
back and forth?

Speaking of which, does anyone have experience with
those USB flash data drives?  The prices have really come
down recently; you can get a 128MB drive for about
eighty bucks.  This may be an easier way to share data.
Anyone using these with YDL?  They are supposedly
supported under Linux...

::: CD Eject :::
Most of my keys work properly (brightness, volume,
console switching), but the CD eject key does not.  How
can I fix that, and failing that, is there another way to
eject it, maybe from the command line???  My YDL installer
is trapped in there!!

::: CD drive :::
When I double click on the CD icon on my desktop (KDE or
Gnome), I get an error that it's not a valid block device.
Ideas?

::: Modem :::
I tried the RedHat internet setup tool, and it was unable
to find my modem.  This was always a problem for me in
x86, modem support.  I was hoping that the internal
modem on the PB would work.  Anyone have this working?

 Rob Guglielmetti <rpg777@earthlink.net>
    http://home.earthlink.net/~rpg777