New install - issues

Pat Plummer yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 16 May 2002 14:52:28 -0600

On Thursday 16 May 2002 12:01, Rob wrote:
> ::: CD Eject :::
>
> Most of my keys work properly (brightness, volume,
> console switching), but the CD eject key does not.  How
> can I fix that, and failing that, is there another way to
> eject it, maybe from the command line???  My YDL installer
> is trapped in there!!
> ::: CD drive :::
>
> When I double click on the CD icon on my desktop (KDE or
> Gnome), I get an error that it's not a valid block device. =20
> Ideas?

These two things might be related. Things you should check:

Take a look at dmesg (dmesg | less) to see what device YDL thinks your cd=
rom=20
drive is. Dunno whether it will be /dev/scd0, /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc or what =
on=20
your powerbook. On my ANS, it is scd0, on my iMac it is /dev/hdb, and on =
my=20
Quadra 840 it is /dev/sr0.

Once you get an idea of the correct device, make sure you have a cdrom sy=
mlink=20
present in the /dev/directory that points to this device (ls -al /dev/cdr=
om)=20
and if not, make it:

ln -s /dev/whateverthedeviceis /dev/cdrom

Once you've done these things, make sure you have a line in your /etc/fst=
ab=20
file that looks similar to:

/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660 owner,exec,dev,suid,ro,auto 0 0

Make sure the /mnt/cdrom mount point exists (if not -- as root, mkdir=20
/mnt/cdrom). Reboot.

I don't know if the eject key is even supported, but you should at this p=
oint=20
be able to issue the command via a terminal:

eject cdrom or eject /dev/cdrom

to get the disk out.

I think the second problem you mention is either that the cdrom is not mo=
unted=20
or that /dev/cdrom is pointing to the wrong device.=20

As for the modem problem, try using wvdialconf on the commandline to see =
if it=20
can autodetect your modem since rp3 wouldn't.

HTH,

Pat
--=20
Embrace the penguin...