cd drive won't mount

Rob Guglielmetti yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 20 May 2002 12:32:32 -0400

On 20 May 2002, at 10:52, Alex Nonnemacher wrote:

> Can anyone help me get my cd drive mounted on my
PowerBook
> (Lombard) running YDL 2.2? Both KDE and Gnome
report that

On 20 May 2002, at 16:20, Nigel Horne wrote:

> I have the same problem. I have a Powerbook G4 titanium dual
> Boot MACOS/X and YDL2.2.
>
> I guess that I need to rebuild the kernel with a CD driver
> (I'm surprised that YDL didn't build it in to the pre-built
> kernel) - but I don't know the driver/model to add.

Slow down, no recomilation is necessary for this minor
problem.  Here (again) is the fix to this problem (thanks
again to Pat Plummer):

> Take a look at dmesg (dmesg | less) to see what device YDL
> thinks your cdrom drive is. Dunno whether it will be
> /dev/scd0, /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc or what on your powerbook. On
> my ANS, it is scd0, on my iMac it is /dev/hdb, and on my
> Quadra 840 it is /dev/sr0.

[P.S. on my Ti G4 550 it was /dev/hdc.]

> Once you get an idea of the correct device, make sure you
> have a cdrom symlink present in the /dev/directory that
> points to this device (ls -al /dev/cdrom) and if not, make
> it:
>
> ln -s /dev/whateverthedeviceis /dev/cdrom
>
> Once you've done these things, make sure you have a line in
> your /etc/fstab file that looks similar to:
>
> /dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660
> owner,exec,dev,suid,ro,auto 0 0
>
> Make sure the /mnt/cdrom mount point exists (if not -- as
> root, mkdir /mnt/cdrom). Reboot.
>
> I don't know if the eject key is even supported, but you
> should at this point be able to issue the command via a
> terminal:
>
> eject cdrom or eject /dev/cdrom
>
> to get the disk out.

[P.P.S. The keyboard eject key is supported, and works
once you fix the broken link as per the instructions above.]

 Rob Guglielmetti <rpg777@earthlink.net>
    http://home.earthlink.net/~rpg777