Unrecognized hard disk

Chris Saunders yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 23 May 2002 10:54:23 -0400

Hi Mike,

Here's what I did to get YDL running (both 2.1 and 2.2) on my iBook (dual
usb - this year's model).

- use OSX drive setup to partition drive into 2 - leave one unused ("free
space" or something like that) and the other one can have OSX on it.  NOTE -
if you already have info on any partition, the drive utility will wipe
everything when you write a new partition table.

- boot to YDL CD and select Custom

- once you've made it to the partition screen, create 3 partitions in the
"free space" - one for bootloader, one for swap, and one for "/".  NOTE you
can also delete partitions through YDL's pdisk or fdisk whatever it is.

- NOTE (no laughing mutex) if you install OSX after YDL, OSX will take over
as bootloader and you'll need to boot from open firmware in order to
re-establish yaboot as the bootloader.

Good luck!

-----Original Message-----
From: yellowdog-newbie-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
[mailto:yellowdog-newbie-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com]On Behalf Of
Mike Abraham
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 1:08 AM
To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: Unrecognized hard disk

OK, I give. No matter how I partition the drive on my
iBook 2 (dual usb), the YDL 2.2 install gives a
partition error -- no hard disk found.

Currently, the drive is configured with 2 partitions,
according to the instructions. The first is marked as
unallocated, while the second is HFS, and has OS 9
installed.

I've seen some docs which suggest that the YDL
partition needs to be formatted as HFS as well, though
this contradicts the YDL 2.2 install guide.

This doesn't seem specific to YDL either -- Mandrake
8.2 gives the same error.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mike