Unrecognized HD -- Drive on ATA bus 2

Mike Abraham yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 12:08:39 -0600

An update to my earlier posts (skip ahead to 'NEW INFO' if the following
seems familiar):

No matter how I partition the drive on my iBook 2 (dual usb), the YDL
2.2 install gives a partition error -- no hard disk found.

Currently, the drive is configured with 2 partitions, according to the
instructions. The first is marked as unallocated, while the second is
HFS, and has OS 9 installed.

I've seen some docs which suggest that the YDL partition needs to be
formatted as HFS as well, though this contradicts the YDL 2.2 install guide.

This doesn't seem specific to YDL either -- Mandrake 8.2 gives the same error.

NEW INFO: I read a post elsewhere that suggested that the partitioning
tool used during the install can't recognize a drive on the non-primary
IDE bus (in my case, bus 2). This seems to make sense, since the OS 9
version of pdisk can't recognize the drive either.

So, how the hell has everyone else with an iBook 2 done this?

Thanks for your help.

Mike