root password

mutex yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
26 May 2002 11:08:30 -0600

--=-0wPSplCQzwji5kGoAPq0

You can do this quite easily since you have physical access to the
machine(or i assume you do).  All you need to do is boot the machine in
single user mode, when you get to the yaboot prompt for choosing your
kernel enter in your kernel image name, for example "linux-2.4", then
append "single" to it, so you should be typing "linux-2.4 single".  Your
machine will begin to boot normally but will stop after a couple of init
scripts are run and present you with with a shell.  Now you just cd into
/etc and use your favorite editor to edit the shadow file. =20
The shadow file layout is as follows, a user's entry will look like so:

rogue5:$1$kPRnIaCK$jblifu234j983bn24C0:11830:0:99999:7:::

(don't try to crack this its a random stream of characters, and not a
real passwd entry ;-)

Each field is seperated by a colon, first is the user name, second is
the password hash.  You need to erase the second field, in your case the
field for the root user, so the end result would be:

rogue5::11830:0:99999:7:::

Now save the file, reboot your machine and login as root user, it
shouldn't prompt you for a password and now you can set it to whatever
you like with the passwd command.
enjoy

On Sun, 2002-05-26 at 00:32, ann wrote:
> ok inadvertently and in a hurry (no way to install stuff I know) I omitte=
d to write down my root password (for security reasons..hah), a few months =
down the track and not having been using it, I ..cant remember it... is the=
re anyway I can find out the root password as a standard user??
>=20
> regards
>=20
> anmore