Major New TiBook 800 install problems

Arvydas Svalbonas yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 10:32:59 -0400

--=_B6EB712C.31502C10

Hello.  I am truly a Linux newbie trying to get through a YDL 2.2 install. =
 My goal is a triple-boot system (OS 9, OS X, and YDL 2.2).

I have several issues/problems:

First, during the Overall Progress portion of the install I noticed =
several messages appear on-screen.

/proc empty (not mounted?)

find: /var/lib/nfs: No such file or directory

What do these references mean?  I purchased the install disks from YDL, is =
there a problem with them?

Next, when the install asked if I wanted to install the ybin bootloader =
and I answered "YES."  The install failed with a message about the install =
being unstable.  I re-installed the entire package again (along with a =
full re-partitioning of my hard drive) and then answered "NO" to the ybin =
question, which let me proceed to a root password and networking questions,=
 etc.  The installation finished successfully according to the YDL 2.2 =
graphical installer but I always boot directly into OS X.
How do I get yaboot working correctly?

I am able to boot into YDL (text-only) using the Tasty Morsels CD.  I do =
notice that during the initialization ntpd [FAILED] appears.  What is this =
message?
I am not able to run X, whenever I type startx it fails.

Also, I tried to run /usr/sbin/ybin
and I got the message ybin: /usr/local/lib/yaboot/yaboot: No such file or =
directory
ybin: /usr/local/lib/yaboot/ofboot: No such file or directory

I am endlessly grateful to anyone who can offer some assistance.  Thank =
you in advance.

--=_B6EB712C.31502C10

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2716.2200" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 10pt Times New Roman; MARGIN-LEFT: =
2px">
<DIV>Hello.&nbsp; I am truly a Linux newbie trying to get through a YDL =
2.2=20
install.&nbsp; My goal is a triple-boot system (OS 9, OS X, and YDL =
2.2).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have several issues/problems:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>First, during the Overall Progress portion of the install I noticed =
several=20
messages appear on-screen.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>/proc empty (not mounted?)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>find: /var/lib/nfs: No such&nbsp;file or directory</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>What do these references mean?&nbsp; I purchased the install disks =
from=20
YDL, is there a problem with them?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Next, when the install asked if I wanted&nbsp;to install the ybin=20
bootloader and I answered "YES."&nbsp; The install failed with a message =
about=20
the install being unstable.&nbsp; I&nbsp;re-installed the entire package =
again=20
(along with a full re-partitioning of my hard drive) and then answered =
"NO" to=20
the ybin question, which let me proceed to a root password and networking=
=20
questions, etc.&nbsp; The installation finished successfully according to =
the=20
YDL 2.2 graphical installer but I always&nbsp;boot directly into OS =
X.</DIV>
<DIV>How do I get yaboot working correctly?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I am able to boot into YDL (text-only) using the Tasty Morsels =
CD.&nbsp; I=20
do notice that during the initialization ntpd [FAILED] appears.&nbsp; What =
is=20
this message?</DIV>
<DIV>I am not able to run X, whenever I type startx it fails.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Also, I tried to run /usr/sbin/ybin</DIV>
<DIV>and I got the message ybin: /usr/local/lib/yaboot/yaboot: No such =
file or=20
directory</DIV>
<DIV>ybin: /usr/local/lib/yaboot/ofboot: No such file or directory</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I am endlessly&nbsp;grateful to anyone who can offer some assistance.&=
nbsp;=20
Thank you in advance.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--=_B6EB712C.31502C10--