Remote Telnetting?

Brett Brewer yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:32:38 -0500

Yes, SSH is better than Telnet (since it's secure). It was installed by
default on my YDL 2.3 machine using the "Web Server" install option, which
made me quite happy. If it's now installed on your machine, you may be able
to install it very easily by typing (as root):

apt-get install openssh

This should make sure eveything else needed to run openssh is installed
first (finds and installs dependencies), then it will install the latest
version of openssh. Keep in mind, you're getting advice from a newbie now,
but it worked for me before.

FYI, if you're looking for a decent GUI application to let you use a
WSFTP-like (or Norton Commander-like) interface for doing secure file
transfers via SSH, then check out WinSCP (it's free). You can find it at
http://winscp.vse.cz. It's a windows program that has saved me soooo much
time when using SCP to do simple web tasks such as transferring large
numbers of html and related files to and from a server. I'm not affiliated
with them in any way, I just love the product. The following quote from
their page that also sort of explains what the heck SCP is and how it
relates to SSH...

"Using WinSCP, it is possible to connect to a SSH (Secure SHell) server with
SCP (Secure Copy Protocol) service, mainly to UNIX machines. SCP is part of
SSH package. WinSCP supports both SSH1 and SSH2. For authentication, the
user can use username and password or RSA key. RSA authentication is
implemented for SSH1 only."