Old World Mac install woes

Dan A. Milisic yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 14:36:55 -0400

Hi,

I experienced a similar problem a while ago...

IIRC, deleting all the partitions, restarting, and re-assigning them in
a different order, (i.e. /sda9 for '/swap', /sda10 for '/', /sda11 for
'hfs+') seems to help.  It almost seems thst when you delete your
paritions and re-create them, YDL gets confused by some junk left behind
from the last partitioning attempt and subsequently chokes, even after a
restart.

I chalk it up to PPC Linux install voodoo ;)

Hope this helps,
D.

-----Original Message-----
From: yellowdog-newbie-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
[mailto:yellowdog-newbie-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com] On Behalf
Of Tom Marsh
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2002 2:23 PM
To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: Old World Mac install woes

I'm installing YDL 2.3 on my Power Macintosh 6500/250 with 32 meg of
RAM and a 4 gig hard disk. (I know, the RAM tally leaves something to
be desired. It's on order....)

Per the instructions, I first wiped the drive, and created several
partitions. The space I intended to use for Linux was declared
"unused." The second chunk of disk space is formatted HFS and contains
MacOS 9.1. This is per the doc, mind you, which specifies that MacOS
NOT be the first partition on the disk if you have to use BootX.

In the YDL installer, I defined my linux partitions in the "unused"
space as follows...

/boot      10 mb
/              3 gig
swap     256 meg

After I commit these changes, the installer attempts to begin
formatting the various linux partitions. At this point, the installer
tells me a fatal error has occurred, then it freezes and the machine
reboots. Completely. Every single time.

Making this problem EVEN more frustrating is that you can't (documented
bug from ydl.com) format partitions created outside the YDL isntaller
session. SO... To attempt this again I have start the installer again,
delete the old partitions, then re-start the machine, then re-start the
installer again to re-create the linux partitions.

Has anybody else encountered this? Must all linux partitions exist
contiguously on the disk? Right now, the order is /boot, /, MacOS, then
swap. Is this my problem?