Internet connection but host not found

McLeod, Peter (Yuetsu) yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:16:12 +1000

Thanks for your replies Ryan/Jamie.  That's exactly what I tried next.
Changed auto-detection to manual and input the two dns server ip addresses
that my isp gave me.  However - still to no avail.  I have since found one
other person on the net with this problem and it's not yellowdog linux
related so I'll chase it up there.  Thanks again.  This is the mail I
found...

On April 26, 2001 09:31 pm, Dustin wrote:
> I have installed the latest version of ppp, and everything installed
> properly. I then used kppp to setup a connection to my ISP. Everyting,
> (ip, gateway, dns) was set to automatically configure (This works with
> Redhat and windows) When I connect, it connects and grabs an IP but
> nothing else works. I cna't load sites or anything. When ever I try the
> browser trys to laod a page it says host not found instantly..
> I have tried going to their site (the ISP) and getting the DNS server name

> and manually entering it, but that didn't work. Same thing with the
> gateway..

Can you connect to an IP address rather than a hostname?

After the connection has been made, check your /etc/resolv.conf file. Make
sure it contains your ISP's DNS servers like this:
#begin /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver ip1
nameserver another.ip
nameserver and.a.third.if.applicable
#end

(three is the max. in resolv.conf. Anything over three will just be ignored)