Hang during widow manager startup

Guy Sample yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 20:30:43 -0500

I hope some one can help me with this problem.
First a little background, I have YDL 2.3 installed on a PowerMac 7200/90.
80 MB Ram
520 MB harddrive with MacOS 9.1
4.3 GB harddrive with YDL and 1 GB hfs partition

I'm trying YDL because I also have an iMac I am thinking about
installing it on, but I wanted to try and learn a little about it first
on a machinr that isn't so critical.

When I first installed YDL i set it up for the text login. I imediately
used apt to get all the latest updated files.

For some reason I am unable to run Gnome or KDE (KDE will only run as
root Gnome doesn't work at all). They both go through the startup
process and then right at the very end they hang and I have to force a
resart. (Control+Apple+Power)

At first I thought it was just because the machine was slow, but I let
it sit overnight to find the same state in the morning.

I've tryed a few things that I thought might work to no avail. At this
point I'm open to any suggestions. I could be happy running KDE as root,
but I didn't think that would be a very good idea.