Install 2.3 on 4400/200

Jamie White yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 14:05:59 +0100

On Tuesday, Sep 3, 2002, at 17:22 Europe/London, Dwight Hahn wrote:

>> I=B4m trying, with no results so far, to install YDL 2.3 on a =
4400/200=20
>> with
>> 1.2 GB HD & 48Mb RAM. I have split the HD in half (600Mb each=20
>> partition).
>>
>> OK i know it=B4s far from a decent configuration, but for now i just=20=

>> want to
>> test-drive Linux, then i might migrate the rest of the Macs...
>>
>> The problem is this: bootX installation and restart run fine, text=20
>> interface
>> is the only option because RAM is < 64, ok, but the installer can=B4t=20=

>> mount
>> the CD, either in default or custom modes.
>>
>> Is this because there's not enough RAM / HD space? The CD drive is
>> recognised, i tried using an external CDRW and the installer reported=20=

>> having
>> detected both, but still didn't load the YDL CD on any drive.
>>
>> I made the CD from an image (.iso) dloaded from one of the mirrors on=20=

>> the
>> YDL page, could it be a bad .image file?
>>
>> Any fellow newbie got past this stage?
>>
>> Thanx
>>
>> LE

Maybe you might want to look at MKLinux instead if your specs aren't up=20=

to YDL... I don't know about your specific machine, but look at=20
www.mklinux.org for more info. I have it running (to some degree) on a=20=

6100/60 with 40MB (iirc) RAM. There also used to be PowerPC Linux, but=20=

I have no idea what happened to that!

J White=