screen resolution?

Lowell Premer yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 16:16:16 -0500

The X is a capital (all linux [unix] is case sensitive) all the rest are
lower case, and it's installed already; just type that word at the
command prompt. Uh-oh, you've got it set to boot into the GUI interface,
don't you? To go to a CLI (command line interface) try ctl-cmd-big
delete; if that doesn't work, try opt instead of cmd. If THAT doesn't
work, I give up...:-)
    To make yourself root (do you log in when you boot, or does the GUI
just start?) when you're at the command line type "su" (no quotes) and
give the root password. You should have set all this root v. user stuff
up when you installed; did you? If not, I don't know what to tell you;
every install I've ever done has requred me to give a root password and
then offered me the chance to give myself a user identity in addition.
Let us hope this happened for you, 'cause without root, there's A LOT of
stuff you can't do AT ALL... Actually I KNOW you have a root account;
it's impossible that you don't, doggdone it! You may be root all the
time; I've seen that happen. If so, give yourself a user identity
IMMEDIATELY; it's possible to do BIG damage messing around as root.
After you do that, only "su" to root when it's absolutely necessary,
like now to run "Xconfigurator"...