local network using ethernet and modem

Chuck Coleman yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 14:13:01 -0700

on 9/13/02 10:15 AM, yvon at yvon.thoraval@free.fr wrote:

> I'm interested because in my case (ppc 9500) the ethernet chipset is on
> the motherboard, then, how could i probe this address , you mean under
> linux andor macos ???

I should see the built in Ethernet since it is an Apple "approved" product.
Look at the chip set on the Ethernet on the board and see what is there.
More than likely it is an NEC 24xxx since Apple used a lot of these.

Then pick a driver that matches the chip set. If it's 3Com use the 3Com and
so on. If you don't know then you just have to go through the list.

Or you can try the tulip driver.

Try adding this to /etc/modules.conf:

alias eth0 tulip

where eth0 is the location of your Ethernet card. That will force it to use
the tulip driver, and it might make a difference.

You will have to do this in terminal of course.

Chuck